Friday, March 11, 2011

Financial Freedom Requires Transformation

We are planning a beach vacation for this summer and I cannot wait.  Seven days on a semi-private beach with my fantastic family, great friends, and free time.  It will be amazing.  I do have to admit there is one thing that I am NOT looking forward to...  wearing a bathing suit.  Yep, the thought of wearing a bathing suit makes me cringe.  Don't get me wrong, I know that I am not overweight and I do not have self-image issues.  However, I do realize that I have some lumpiness in some places that are just not attractive.  I would be quite content with hanging on the beach in shorts and a tank top, but to put on a bathing suit...  no thank you.

The question to ask is, "What am I going to do about it?"  To simply realize that I am not comfortable in a bathing suit because of the extra lumpiness is not enough.  I can choose to wear a bathing suit and just deal with the lumpiness while on vacation, but doing so changes nothing.  I know that those lumpy places can begin to go away if I eat well (which I am on the track of doing) and if I begin to exercise more.  It also requires that I put a plan in place, change some things, and transform my thinking.

The same is true for our financial lives.  Once you recognize that you are in financial bondage, you must begin to take steps to get out of it.  Simply recognizing where you are will do nothing.  If you want things to change, you must begin changing things.  Put a plan in place -- begin using a budget.  Begin to change your approach to spending -- stop using the credit card.  Begin transforming your mind by looking at your money differently.  The Bible tells us that if we are going to live in a God-honoring manner, we must move away from this world and allow our minds to be renewed.  Romans 12:2 (New Living Translation) states, "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.  Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

Transformation is an active choice.  It requires more than just trying to "do better."  It requires an agreement and an allowance for God to do substantial work in your life.  It requires an admission that the way you have been doing things was wrong and a submission to allow God to do a transforming work in you.  Transformation is not an easy road.  It could be short or it could be long.  Along the way you'll continually have to choose whether or not to quit or to endure.  But the road of transformation will get you to your destination -- financial freedom.

I am going to develop a plan to be in better shape before our vacation this summer.  If you want to hold me accountable to that, I may accept your offer.  However, you have to agree to be accountable to the transforming work that needs to happen in your financial life.  You can do it.  I can do it. We can travel the road of transformation together.
~Alesha

No comments:

Post a Comment