Friday, February 11, 2011

Hi. My name is...

Have you seen the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic?  That was me.  I was a Rebecca Bloomwood.  I love to shop.  I always enjoyed clothes, shoes, getting a new purse or perfume, and department store makeup.  My mom, sister and I would go shopping most weekends when I was in high school.  There was never a sense of over-spending as we always knew how much money we had.  It was one of our favorite past-times.  And, whenever I was bored, I would go to the mall.

I graduated from college with a degree in accounting and went straight into public accounting.  During my first tax season, I began working long hours in a stressful environment.  When I would leave work Saturday afternoon, I would go straight to the mall and stay for hours.  I had been stressed out and I needed a way to relieve that stress.  I even justified my purchases thinking that at least I wasn't one of those people who was relieving stress at a bar.  I was doing something better because I was going to a better place.  But, an addiction is an addiction.  I was justifying my purchases and I was entitled to what I bought.

As I continued to encounter stressful week after week, last Saturday's trip to the mall no longer filled me up and I had to go back.  I believed I deserved a new purchase and each new purchase became more expensive.  I was no longer content with purchasing a new outfit from WalMart. I had to purchase something from New York and Company, or The Limited, or Ann Taylor, or the new designer purse from Macy's.  I remember one weekend telling Kevin that I had to go to the mall to be in my "element."  I was having withdrawal.  But in the end all I had was a closet full of nice clothes, nice shoes, and more purses than any one person should ever own.  The void I was attempting to fill stayed empty.

~Alesha

No comments:

Post a Comment